This is a fantastic dish, especially for us who loves scampi. It is somewhat timeconsuming to make, a vast list of ingredients, but SO worth it!. Just try it, and enjoy 🙂
For 25-30 cakes you need:
- 750 gr scampi, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 large lemongrass, only the white, very finely chopped
- 1 large spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
- 6 tbsps coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 3 tbsp basil, finely chopped
- 3 tsp palm sugar
- 1 tbsp sweet chilisauce (+ extra for dipping)
- 1 ½ tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 1 tsp Thai red curry paste
- 2 ½ tbsps coconut milk
- 3 egg whites
- neutral oil for frying (i.e. sunflower oil)
- lime wedges for serving
In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients apart from the two last ingredients. Dont worry, the mixture is supposed to be a bit loose.
On low heat, heat up a layer of oil, appr ½ cm, in large frying pan. Use a tablespoon, and have small amounts into the frying pan, and press them flat with a spatula, appr 1 cm thick. Fry the cakes 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
Keep a close eye on the oil, avoid it getting too hot. Due to the coconut milk, the cakes tend to brown very quickly.
When fried, put them on a kitchen paper, to drain any excess oil.
Serve with lime wedges and sweet chili sauce.